||Date: 01 September 2014, 07 October 2014 (beta)
|Size (5.21): 1.66 MB (32-bit), 1.83 MB (x64)|
|Size (5.30 beta 2): 1.68 MB (32-bit), 1.85 MB (x64)|
|Price: trialware, 29.95€|
|Download WinRAR 32-bit|
|Download WinRAR x64|
|Download WinRAR beta 32-bit|
|Download WinRAR beta x64|
|Note: Very popular compression utility, localised in many languages, and with many formats supported...|
|Editor's Rating: 4.5/5|
WinRAR 5.21 is a powerful archiver. It provides complete support of RAR and ZIP files, unpacks 7Z, ACE, ARJ, BZ2, CAB, GZ, ISO, JAR, LZH, TAR, UUE, Z. Among WinRAR 5 features are strong compression, volumes, encryption, self-extracting modules, backup facilities.
WinRAR 5.2 is shareware. Anyone may use it during a test period of 40 days. Following this test period or less, if you wish to continue to use Win RAR 3, you must register.
There are no additional license fees, apart from the cost of registration, associated with the creation and distribution of RAR archives or self-extracting archives. Legally registered owners may use their copies of Win RAR 3 to produce and distribute those archives free of any additional RAR royalties.
Free WinRAR archiver is distributed as is. No warranty of any kind is expressed or implied. You use at your own risk. Neither the author nor the agents of the author will be liable for data loss, damages, loss of profits or any other kind of loss while using or misusing this software.
(WinRAR version 5.30 beta 2)
1. SFX module sets sfxstime environment variable, which contains the module start time in "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS-ms" format. You can specify it in Path command if you need to generate a time based unique installation path, such as "Path=myapp-%sfxstime%".
2. Fewer password requests in following cases in "Convert archives" command:
a) if "Convert archives" is applied to archive with encrypted file names, which contents is currently displayed in WinRAR;
b) if archive produced by "Convert archives" includes encrypted file names.
3. Bugs fixed:
a) RAR volumes renamed from standard .part1.rar, .part2.rar to .001, .002 are recognized and processed correctly now. Previous beta opened them as set of usual split files, not as RAR volumes;
b) reports produced with "Generate report" command contained invalid CRC32 checksums for non-archived files;
c) "rar x arcname.rar d:" command unpacks files to d: current folder. Previous version unpacked them to d: root folder;
d) archive comment was not encrypted if added to archive with encrypted headers using "c" command without -hp switch. This beta encrypts an archive comment in such case.
(WinRAR version 5.21)
1. "Drag and drop context menu" options in "Settings/Integration/ Context menu items" dialog allow to disable WinRAR archiving and extraction commands in context menu displayed after dragging and dropping files with right mouse button.
2. If winrar.ini file is present in the same folder as WinRAR installer, winrar.ini will be copied to WinRAR program folder after completing installation.
3. While previous versions could produce RAR5 volumes of slightly smaller than requested size sometimes, such situation is less likely now. In most cases volume size equals to specified by user.
4. Now by default WinRAR skips symbolic links with absolute paths in link target when extracting. You can enable creating such links with "Allow absolute paths in symbolic links" option on "Advanced" page of extraction dialog or with -ola command line switch.
Such links pointing to folders outside of extraction destination folder can present a security risk. Enable their extraction only if you are sure that archive contents is safe, such as your own backup.
5. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR 5.20 issued unnecessary user account control (UAC) prompt, when running an executable from archive stored in UAC protected folder. Since nothing is extracted to folder containing an archive in such case, UAC prompt is not needed;
b) WinRAR could overwrite files with read-only attribute only when unpacking RAR and ZIP archive formats. Now it is also implemented for other archive formats supported by WinRAR;
c) "Elapsed time" and "Time left" were displayed incorrectly when applying "Convert" command to multiple archives and enabling "Add recovery record" option.